INQUISITOR For ARM

kryptonite
Build Inquisitor off the SVN for ARM system , the frame work itself is working well on ARM.

However need some help with getting some tests running.

edited the cpu script to replace burnP6 with burnCortexA9 (This is for ARM systems).

What I execute the CPU burn test , it starts the test on the first core (Core 0 )however for Core 1, 2 and 3 i get

taskset: failed to set pid 0's affinity: Invalid argument ...anything else I need to change !

Also would be great to start adding ARM support for INQ !

Re: INQUISITOR For ARM

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
Hi,

> Build Inquisitor off the SVN for ARM system , the frame work itself is
> working well on ARM.

That's great news!

> However need some help with getting some tests running.
>
> edited the cpu script to replace burnP6 with burnCortexA9 (This is for ARM
> systems).

After a quick search, I believe that burnCortexA9 is an existing
Debian program in cpuburn package? If so, then probably you can send
us a patch to make cpu script support both x86 burns and ARM burns?
How should one detect a Cortex A9 CPU with /proc/cpuinfo check?

> What I execute the CPU burn test , it starts the test on the first core
> (Core 0 )however for Core 1, 2 and 3 i get
>
> taskset: failed to set pid 0's affinity: Invalid argument ...anything else I
> need to change !

Hmm, that's very strange - it seems that CPU binding with taskset
isn't working properly. Can you investigate it further? For example,
can you manually bind any program to second core (Core #1) with
something like:

taskset -c 1 burnCortexA9

?

> Also would be great to start adding ARM support for INQ !

You're most welcome with the patches :)

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

Re: INQUISITOR For ARM

kryptonite
Hmm, that's very strange - it seems that CPU binding with taskset
isn't working properly. Can you investigate it further?
Upon further Investigation on why the tasks were not running on different cores , I found out that due to Power management features some cores can be off and they need a slight delay .

Hence added the delay (sleep 5) to functions under /usr/share/inquisitor , with this set it workd absoilutely fine. This may be needed for most ARM based systems.

start_background()
{
        local PIDFILE=$1
        shift
        local CPULIST=$1
        shift
        if [ -n "$CPULIST" ]; then
                sleep 5
                taskset -c "$CPULIST" $@ &
                echo $! >$PIDFILE
        else
                $@ &
                echo $! >$PIDFILE
        fi
}

After a quick search, I believe that burnCortexA9 is an existing
Debian program in cpuburn package? If so, then probably you can send
us a patch to make cpu script support both x86 burns and ARM burns?
How should one detect a Cortex A9 CPU with /proc/cpuinfo check?

Yes for arm systems I just installed sudo apt-get install cpuburn and the  burnCortexA9 is installed.
Processor : ARMv7 is what we need to look for in /proc/cpuinfo if this exists we need to use burnCortexA9 ,

Re: INQUISITOR For ARM

Michael Shigorin
On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 04:00:26AM +0400, Mikhail Yakshin wrote:
> How should one detect a Cortex A9 CPU with /proc/cpuinfo check?

Just in case, a sample for Marvell Armada 510 (not a Cortex):

Processor       : Marvell PJ4 v7 Processor-wmmx rev 5 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 399.76
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp iwmmxt thumbee
CPU implementer : 0x56
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0x581
CPU revision    : 5

Hardware        : Compulab CM-A510 Board
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <[hidden email]>