Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

klqn
Hi,
I am new to inquisitor and I do need you help.
I modified the Makefile and Makefile.config per your mini-howto here and I got the following errors:
How do i fix this?

thank you very much.
kevinn

oot@debian-inq:/home/kevinn/tmp/inq# make build-package && make data && make build-root
rm -rf /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package; mkdir -p /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package; cp -r client /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1; cp -r flavour Makefile.config /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package; cp -r build/debian/debian /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1; cp build/debian/init.enterprise /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1/main/init; cd /home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -ai386 -us -uc
dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor):
dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor):
dpkg-buildpackage: source package inquisitor-client
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.0-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Inquisitor team <team@inquisitor.ru>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
 dpkg-source --before-build inquisitor-client-1.0-1
 debian/rules clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1'
dh_testdir
make[1]: dh_testdir: Command not found
make[1]: *** [clean] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1'
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2
make: *** [build-package] Error 2

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
Hi kevinn,

> I am new to inquisitor and I do need you help.

Thanks for your interest in Inquisitor :)

> I modified the Makefile and Makefile.config per your mini-howto here and I
> got the following errors:
> How do i fix this?

[...]

> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1'
> dh_testdir
> make[1]: dh_testdir: Command not found

^^^ That seems to be the source of the error, your build system is
lacking "dh_testdir" utility.

> make[1]: *** [clean] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/kevinn/tmp/inq/work/build-package/inquisitor-client-1.0-1'
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2
> make: *** [build-package] Error 2

Basically, all such "Command not found" or similar errors could be
resolved in 2 steps:

1. Go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents and
enter "dh_testdir" there (without quotes) as a keyword and do a
search. You'll end up knowing that full name of this file is
"/usr/bin/dh_testdir" and it belongs to a packages "debhelper".

2. Do "apt-get install debhelper" <= that's the package you're missing
on your build host.

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

klqn
Mikhail,
Thanks for your help.  I am almost there.  However, I got the following error when I do "make build-package":  Can you help me to fix it?  Thanks
kevinn

# Copy images if present
if [ -d image ]; then cp -r image /work/chroot/img; fi
if [ -d data ]; then cp -r data /work/chroot/data; fi
# Copy Inquisitor client package
cp /work/build-package/inquisitor-client_1.0-1_i386.deb /work/chroot
# Copy build-specific temporary files
cp build/debian/packages \
           build/debian/remove_packages \
           build/debian/debs \
           build/debian/preseed /work/chroot
# Run post-debootstrap installation scripts
CHROOT_PATH=/work/chroot \
                REPO=ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian \
                REPO_MULTIMEDIA=ftp://ftp.debian-multimedia.org \
                BRANCH=squeeze \
                SERVER= \
                SHARE_DIR=/usr/share/inquisitor \
                DEBUG_TTY=/dev/tty2 build/debian/run_scripts.sh
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 5: pushd: not found

Running COPYING
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./COPYING: Permission denied

COPYING done

Running Makefile
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./Makefile: Permission denied

Makefile done

Running Makefile.config
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./Makefile.config: Permission denied

Makefile.config done

Running Makefile.config~
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./Makefile.config~: Permission denied

Makefile.config~ done

Running build
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./build: Permission denied

build done

Running client
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./client: Permission denied

client done

Running data
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./data: Permission denied

data done

Running flavour
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./flavour: Permission denied

flavour done

Running server
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 10: ./server: Permission denied

server done
build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 11: popd: not found
make: *** [build-root-enterprise] Error 127

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
Hi kevinn,

> Thanks for your help.  I am almost there.  However, I got the following
> error when I do "make build-package":  Can you help me to fix it?  Thanks

[...]

> CHROOT_PATH=/work/chroot \
>                REPO=ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian \
>                REPO_MULTIMEDIA=ftp://ftp.debian-multimedia.org \
>                BRANCH=squeeze \
>                SERVER= \
>                SHARE_DIR=/usr/share/inquisitor \
>                DEBUG_TTY=/dev/tty2 build/debian/run_scripts.sh
> build/debian/run_scripts.sh: 5: pushd: not found

^^^ That's the source of error. More strict versions of POSIX shell
(i.e. newer Ubuntu & Debian use dash there) doesn't have pushd builtin
available. I've fixed that script, you can update the sources from svn
(you *are* using svn version, aren't you?) and just retry.

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

klqn
Mikhail,
I am building from the source: svn co https://inq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/inq inq

I will checkout again.
thanks
kevinn

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
Hi,

> I am building from the source: svn co
> https://inq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/inq inq
>
> I will checkout again.

No need to re-checkout again every time. Just run "svn up" from the
trunk directory and that would pull new updates.

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

klqn
Mikhail,
I was able to complete the "make build-root" after I  "svn up".  I tried "make rsync" I got the following error:

ssh inq "mkdir -p /inq/root-i586; sudo chown root:inquisitor /inq/root-i586"
ssh: Could not resolve hostname inq: Name or service not known
make: *** [rsync] Error 255

I read  your mini-how to - but still not clear how to modify which Makefile on the truck that I should modify.  Can you explain it for me?

thanks
kevinn

* Then you need to rsync chroot, and create some special devices on
  it. You can see how it is working in **rsync** target in *Makefile*.
  You can modify it according to your needs, as it is very varying for
  different users. And then, at last, make rsync!

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
Hi,

> I was able to complete the "make build-root" after I  "svn up".  I tried
> "make rsync" I got the following error:
>
> ssh inq "mkdir -p /inq/root-i586; sudo chown root:inquisitor /inq/root-i586"
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname inq: Name or service not known
> make: *** [rsync] Error 255
>
> I read  your mini-how to - but still not clear how to modify which Makefile
> on the truck that I should modify.  Can you explain it for me?

"make rsync" uploads built root to a target server that will serve
this root as NFS root to systems under test. There's a setting in
Makefile.config:

# Server host to deploy client image to
DEPLOY_HOST=inq

Basically, it's a placeholder where you should put a real name of a
server to deploy (i.e. upload) built root to.

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

klqn
Mikhail,
thanks for the info., let's me read some more and I will get back to you the status.  Thanks very much your help.

When I complete the installation, I will create a cheat sheet for the users to build this cools test software.

kevinn

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

klqn
Mikhail,
When I tried the "sudo Make rsync" I got the following error:

kevinn@ubuntu:~/inq/trunk$ sudo make rsync
ssh kevinn "mkdir -p /inq/root-i586; sudo chown root:inquisitor /inq/root-i586"
root@kevinn's password:
chown: invalid group: `root:inquisitor'

I guess, I need to build the client side first.  Is there a document how to build the client side?

thanks
kevinn

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

kryptonite
Even the Unixbench script uses pushd and popd and I get a message saying pushd or popd are not found

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

Sergey Matveev-2
>Even the Unixbench script uses pushd and popd and I get a message saying
>pushd or popd are not found
All those tests were developed under much more older Debians, where
built-in dash shell-interpreter was not so strict as current one, and it
had pushd/popd commands. As a quick fix, you can just change symbolic
links on /bin/sh from /bin/dash to /bin/bash.

        ln -fs bash /bin/sh

Re: Unable to make all on Debian 6.04

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
Hi,

>>Even the Unixbench script uses pushd and popd and I get a message saying
>>pushd or popd are not found
> All those tests were developed under much more older Debians, where
> built-in dash shell-interpreter was not so strict as current one, and it
> had pushd/popd commands. As a quick fix, you can just change symbolic
> links on /bin/sh from /bin/dash to /bin/bash.
>
>         ln -fs bash /bin/sh

I've committed a patch that reimplements pushdq/popdq methods in a
manner compatible with Debian/Ubuntu's dash. Should work smoothly now
- please check it out.

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin