live usb

nove
I really want a usb live version ... can help me?
sorry my english...

Re: live usb

Mikhail Yakshin
Administrator
> I really want a usb live version ... can help me?
> sorry my english...

I recall that this idea comes from time to time ;)

I think I'll add it to our tracker - http://track.inquisitor.ru/issues/show/35

We plan to do it - if you want to get it earlier - you're welcome to
join and take care of this task :)

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin

Re: live usb

Michael Shigorin
On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 07:50:15PM -0800, nove wrote:
> I really want a usb live version ... can help me?
> sorry my english...

You can find tons of "how to make live usb from livecd"
instructions on the net -- e.g. Windows-based one:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1193978/how_to_create_a_liveusb_linux.html
or Linux-based one: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

Said that, a ticket might be placed to remind us that proposing
an image to download (along with instructions) might be easier.

2 greycat: mkimage-related howto is here [ru]:
http://git.altlinux.org/people/mike/packages/?p=mkimage-profiles-desktop.git;a=blob;f=HOWTO-Make-Bootflash;h=7e480704513c71c8dc917ababc972d4c664ccd2c;hb=HEAD

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <[hidden email]>

Re: live usb

Sampath
I used the software suggested by the article : http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1193978/how_to_create_a_liveusb_linux.html?cat=59

to create inquisitor live USB version. However, it creats a debian install USB. Please let me know what I might be doing wrong.

Re: live usb

saosborne9
I would like to add this to our list of tools that we use on the YUMI or "Multiboot" system of USB drive live disks. I am not with Pendrive Linux, but rather use the tools. If I could find out the initial OS this is built from, it would aid me in loading it the best way, rather than as an ISO on the drive. From the references on your lists, I am guessing Gentoo? I don't know how active you are or how high I will rank on the list of importance so I will continue to pursue this on my own, I was only looking to save time. It is a way to load many distros on a USB, like a pxe boot server on USB. I understand that there have been articles that address USB creation, but not this particular scenario directly, i believe as I have searched. Also, I would like to know if you would like me to ask YUMI if they would mind listing your install in their tool. Thank you for your work on a great tool.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Thank you for your time and attention,
Shaun

Re: live usb

Michael Shigorin-2
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 01:00:09PM -0700, saosborne9 wrote:
> If I could find out the initial OS this is built from, it would
> aid me in loading it the best way, rather than as an ISO on the
> drive. From the references on your lists, I am guessing Gentoo?

Nope, 3.0 and earlier were ALT Linux based and 3.1beta was Debian
based (but both releases are pretty old and that's a problem indeed
since the hardware moves on).

> I don't know how active you are or how high I will rank on the
> list of importance so I will continue to pursue this on my own,
> I was only looking to save time.

I think your best bet with Inquisitor LiveCD right now is
grabbing 3.1beta and adding a note that it's mostly suitable
to test older hardware (it was released 4+ years ago).

> It is a way to load many distros on a USB, like a pxe boot server on USB.

<plug mode="shameless">
You might also find these ISOs of interest to your project:
http://en.altlinux.org/rescue
http://en.altlinux.org/starterkits
</plug>

2 greycat: yes I still remember mkimage-profiles started off
           with some hope to cover inq image builds as well...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info